Wednesday, July 15, 2009

bringling away

ok, so today was one of those days that can just drag onnnnnn...... See, it all started with the welder's wire feed motor kicking off every second weld! half an hour later i would be back melting metal. this went on for a very long time. By the time i packed up the tools and materials i would need for the arch form and Kiln irons then drove to cynthia's studio it was at least 3:30! then i was missing a piece of metal, had to run into town. SHEEZ! so i got back after that trip, and raised the irons in place, then proceeded to begin to mock up the arch and build the arch form. Mocking up an arch can be frustrating when the brick are off a little and this is not uncharted territory for me (Penland salt '06) so i silently (probably singing outloud while playing air guitar) worked on laying out different patterns of brick while listening into what was coming out of my earbuds. eventually i noticed the sun had gone from the sky and was pretty happy with the arch i had layed out. I decided it was time to sleep on it and see what i think in the mornign. the pictures i posted are from this afternoon cutting and welding the irons. I felt that spark that is about to hit my head in the cutting picture, truley did. Other injuries today; back (of course, whiney bitch i am), sore toe (brick!), a blood blister on my forarm from carrying brick, this is actually not a common injury and seems like it should be? anyway, i wish all my fellow artists good luck down at the southern highland craft guild show in asheville. If you dont have plans this weekend you should go out and spend some money at this wonderful show. later taters captain cone pak

3 comments:

Kyle Carpenter said...

who's takin these damn photos anyway?

Shane Mickey said...

my imaginary friend is taking these pictures, his name is fred. he smells funny but is hilarious to have around.

Dan Finnegan said...

I remember that salt kiln from '06... how time do fly. I'm glad that you've rediscovered your blog...I can't keep up with all these other social networking things.
Your title has set off my mind on other uses of 'bringling'
Bringling home the bacon?
Bringling in the sheaves?
Bringling Up Baby?
I could go on... but I'll let you off easy.