Sunday, February 8, 2009

moving along

so its about time for my monthly update, sad i know but hey, i try. not really ha ha so the last time i posted i had decided on firing again, i have been chuggin along trying to squezze in studio time around school, lisa's schedule, and of course evan! its been tough at times and i have gotten a little down about my whole situation right now, but i am determined to keep my head up. I had also started to get healthy lately, mostly not snackin as much and not eating junk food, and those who know, know i love my little debbies, peanut M&M, etc. I also started walking and that has turned into jogging/walking. after about three weeks of this i am up to three- four times a week in which i walk about 3/4 mile and jog the about 1 1/4 -1.5 miles. I already notice a big difference in my energy levels! so i am determined to keep this up, also the solitude i get for that hour is just priceless. Ok onto the images i posted, they are from the last couple days. i posted some pitchers freshly thrown and then the after pics, also the single shot pitcher was my favorite of that batch. a detail of a highball cup's texture, i have started playing with variety of stampings on one cup, not ground breaking but i like getting mired down in details. This mornign evan joined me in the studio for a bit of company, but he quickly retreated to the house to continue working on his inventions, constructions etc. Well coming up for me is more school (which is gettin more an more enjoyable! and thats dangerous), firing the first weekend of march, OH April 5th -18th i will be workshopin at Penland school. I am teachign a two week soda kiln building and pottery making class, so that will be awesome! two weeks at camp penland baby! anyway i will try to update with some stuff at school soon as i have never put anything up on here about school so that is overdue. i also have an idea to start documenting my drive and what i do to pass the 1.5 hour journey three times a week, wow! thats nine hours aweek in my truck! time ya just cant get back. maybe one day i will have my dream efficiency apartment over a little neighborhood pub in downtown morganton so that sometimes i can just stay down there. time will tell. so to all the potters out there worried about hocking your wares this year in this bad recession, lets keep our heads up, and noses to the wheel, and if its gets real ugly we can all meet up and use our power of numbers to get thru this! good luck all and be sure to misbehave often love ya captain conepac

5 comments:

Kyle Carpenter said...

nice post, shaner. i like that pitcher too. nice markings on it.let me know your firing schedule when you get a chance. cheers.
-kyle

klineola said...

Great post! Maybe I need to go on the mickey diet/exercise regimen. I could use some face time with you, man. The pots are looking good.

Anonymous said...

Whoa! I can relate to this post! Keep the head up, and keep on pluggin! The exercise regime will definitely pay off long term. I'm 56 now, been full time at clay since the late 70s, and if I weren't in reasonably good shape still I don't think I'd be making a go of it. These times suck for potters! I've got one order in the bag, and no workshops, etc scheduled, but I do have faith that things will work out and people will look for good pots to buy. We need a potters' support network, maybe. I used to have such a thing, but then stuck my head in the sand, and now I just spend time in the studio and the kitchen. Oh, nice pots, too!!
All the best...

Shane Mickey said...

thanks for all the comments! i am honored to be graced by mr. aerni's presence! kline and carpenter arent bad either, chumps, but good guys. ha just kiddin
keep on keepin onnn

Anonymous said...

Yes exactly, in some moments I can phrase that I agree with you, but you may be inasmuch as other options.
to the article there is still a definitely as you did in the go over like a lead balloon a fall in love with issue of this request www.google.com/ie?as_q=effective file search 5.1 ?
I noticed the catch-phrase you suffer with not used. Or you use the dreary methods of inspiriting of the resource. I take a week and do necheg